At Coppice Valley Primary School we believe in lifelong learning. We want learning to be a rewarding experience for everyone and recognise that the best teaching and learning
experiences can help children to lead happy and fulfilling lives. Through our teaching we aim to equip children with skills, knowledge and understanding to fulfil their intellectual and personal potential so they are enabled to make choices about their future. This policy outlines our agreed view of children’s entitlement and how we intend to support and encourage learning. It provides a framework of expectation to inform and reflect planning, provision and evaluation of teaching and learning.
At our school we will provide rich, relevant and varied learning experiences which allow children to develop their skills, interests and abilities. Through our teaching we aim to:
- develop children’s knowledge, skills and understanding in the core and foundation subjects;
- focus on children’s attainment and progress in English and mathematics, aided by cross-curricular approaches;
- develop children as resourceful, resilient learners by teaching Empowering Learning Skills;
- foster children’s self-esteem and help them build positive relationships with others – both peers and adults through high standards of behaviour and conduct
- develop children’s self-respect and self-awareness and encourage them to show positive attitudes and respect towards the ideas and feelings of others regardless of race, culture or religion, making a positive contribution to the world
Our Coppice Curriculum
Our curriculum policies sit behind our Non-Negotiables. The school’s curriculum is made up of the National Curriculum plus Empowering Learning, Talk for Learning and Behaviour and Attitudes for Learning skills. The school curriculum is organised into a two year rolling programme for KS1, lower KS2 and upper KS2. EYFS has its own curriculum.
We acknowledge that people learn in many different ways and we recognise the need to develop pedagogies which enable all children to learn in ways that suit them. We offer opportunities for children to learn in different ways including.
Please note, each class has a detailed overview of the current year's topics, divided into terms and areas to be covered, as well as termly information sheets to complement our information meetings, on their class web pages.