We are passionate about reading at Coppice Valley! Reading is the key to unlocking potential and a world of learning. You will find our classrooms full of exciting books, a well stocked library and a dedicated teaching staff committed to putting reading at the heart of all the subjects we learn. To promote a love of reading we do a number of things:
- give a book as a "welcome to our school gift" to each new starter in Reception with a leaflet for parents about how to share books together
- the only prizes we give out are books, inscribed with growth mindset praise messages from teachers
- have regular reading events like "extreme reading", readathons, reading out and about
- every child is read to each day by their teacher from a class novel of classic literature
- have book sales at parent meetings
- each classroom has a reading area with cushions
- provide a range of reading materials including comics, magazines, newspapers, poetry, fiction and non-fiction
Our Schemes for Phonics and Reading
We have a fantastic phonics scheme in school called Phonics Bug, which is part of the Pearson Bug Club Reading scheme which we also use.
Reading at Home
Did you know...
- 20 minutes a day reading with your child = 2 million words heard a year!
- Having your child read out loud to you, gives you the chance to expand their vocabulary by explaining the meaning of new words to them.
Book at Bedtime
Read to your child every day. Even 11 year olds still like to be read to by an adult. You should read books that are slightly too hard for your child to read alone. This helps them to learn new vocabulary and ideas, helping their comprehensions skills develop.
For more reading advice, pop into school and ask for one our reading leaflets or speak to your child's teacher.