Welcome to Apple Class
Welcome back to Year 3/4
We hope your child had a “cracking” Easter and is ready for the Summer term.
Start of the Day Please escort your child to the playground by 8:55, where they will be collected by their teacher. Please do not wait on the patio.
End of Day KS2 children finish at 3.30pm. Parents should wait outside the class door as usual. An adult will be about to make sure everyone is collected.
If you want your child to leave the premises unaccompanied please put this in writing for us.
If you are sending someone else to pick up your child, please call us in advance to let us know.
YEAR 3 & 4 TOPICS - Science and Geography focus
SUMMER 1 TOPIC – What plants and animals are in our local area?
HOMEWORK – Spellings and Maths Learn Its
Please continue to use your Practice makes Progress (PMP) book to learn spellings and maths facts every week. Please check PMP books for results of a spelling tests. This term we are going to do the tests directly into the back of the PMP books.
You could help at home with these topics:
- multiplication (grid method) and division (short division method).
- 3x 4x 8x tables (y3) and 6x 7x 9x tables (year 4)
- Telling the time from an analogue clock (traditional clock with hands). Know how many days in a week, weeks in a year, months in a year, seconds in a minute, minutes in an hour, hours in a day.
- Fractions – count in tenths and hundredths. Add fractions with the same denominator, say which of 2 fractions is larger, order a set of fractions
- Roman numerals
- Geometry – recognise right angles, acute and obtuse angles
- Shape – recognise 2D and 3D shapes by names and properties
- Measurement – how many mm in cm, cm in m, m in km. (length) g in a kg (mass). ml in a l. (capacity)
- Money – know all coins and notes. Add mix of coins and notes. Find change from £5 or £10.
This half term we are “writing to entertain”, so we are creating stories and poems about animals. Next half term we are “writing to persuade” so we will be writing about why the rain forests should be saved. Our punctuation focus is using inverted commas for direct speech. The grammar we are working on is determiners, prepositions and conjunctions. In reading lessons we are trying to improve our comprehension skills, specifically how we must use the text to find the answers.
Playtime snacks and Lunchbox contents – please don’t send chocolate in to school. At playtime kids need a healthy snack = fruit, veg, cheese, non-sugary/chocolate cereal bars are good choices.
Water Bottles – please send your child with a NAMED sports-style pull up lid bottle. If you have a fruit infuser please prepare it at home and take home every day for washing.
Information and advice for parents about the national curriculum including how we teach maths, grammar and punctuation at school.