Ash's Page - Year 2
Welcome to Ash Class!
Welcome to Year 2
We hope you had a lovely Summer and you are ready for an exciting year of learning!
Our topic for this half term is 'Towers, tunnels and turrets'.
Texts for this half term:
- Three Billy Goats Gruff
We will be learning to…
- use capital letters for nouns
- use verbs and adjective in our writing
- use question marks
- /u/ as ‘o’
- The /j/ phoneme spelt ge and dge at the end of words and g elsewhere in words before i,e,y
- /ee/ as –ey
- The /n/ sound spelt kn and gn at the beginning of some words
- The /l/ phoneme spelt –le at end of words
Addition & subtraction
- Solve problems with addition and subtraction:
- using concrete objects and pictorial representations including those involving numbers, quantities and measures
- applying their increasing knowledge of mental and written methods
- Recall and use addition and subtraction facts to 10 & 20 fluently, and derive and use related facts up to 100
- Add and subtract numbers using concrete objects, pictorial representations and mentally, including:
- a two-digit number and 1s
- a two-digit number and 10s
- 2 two-digit numbers
- adding 3 one-digit numbers
- Show that addition of 2 numbers can be done in any order (commutative) and subtraction of 1 number from another cannot
- Recognise and use the inverse relationship between addition and subtraction and use this to check calculations and solve missing number problems
- Internet safety
- Can you make a paper bridge?
- Where do worms like to live?
- Balance and co-ordination
- Creation and thanksgiving
Please make sure your child has a full, named PE kit. They need indoor and outdoor kit please – T shirt, shorts and trainers are essential items. (See website for uniform & PE list).
Tuesday and Thursday are the PE days for Ash Class.
All children in Ash class will begin swimming lessons on 6th September 2018.
We are continuing to talk to the children about the language of learning and helping them to understand what goes on inside their heads when they are thinking and learning. This is called metacognition. Hopefully you will hear your child talk about how they learn this term. Alongside this we are looking at the learning powered mind focusing on the four key areas of: resilience, resourcefulness, reflectiveness and reciprocity.
Start of the Day
Please escort your child to the classroom door and wait with your child until the teacher is there to open at 8:45am. We would appreciate it if you can say your goodbyes at the door as the cloakroom can become very busy. The door will close at 9:00am, if you arrive after this time please go round to the office.
End of Day
KS1 children finish at 3.25pm. Parents should wait outside the class door as usual. In the interests of child safety, please do not enter the school building at the end of the day. If you wish to speak to your child’s teacher then please be patient and wait until the teacher is free. Our main priority is ensuring that the children in our care are handed over to their parent or carer.
Please let school know if somebody else is picking up your child at the end of the day.
Ash Class Autumn 1 timetable (subject to change)
Spellings will not be tested weekly, instead we will be teaching spellings in school daily. Children are encouraged to keep practising key spellings at home!
To improve the fluency and accuracy of times tables, the children in Year 2 have access to Times Tables Rockstars! The children will be tested weekly on their times tables so keep practising at home to beat your time.