School to Parent & Local Community Support
This page provides information about how the school works with parents to provide the best possible opportunities we can for the development of our children.
- Termly letters outlining the content of the curriculum, homework and special events for each class
- Parent Information meetings by each class teacher with opportunities for face to face discussion and explanation of teaching and learning strategies and advice about how to help at home
- Reading and Phonics parent workshops
- Homework workshops - how best to learn spellings, times tables and number facts by heart. Supporting children with comprehension at home
- Parent Forum Meetings - regular opportunities to meet with the senior leaders of the school to discuss pertinent issues
- Bi-weekly whole school newsletters and twitter feed to share good news, list events and provide information
- Teachers go out on the playground before school starts to be available for the passing on of messages, brief chats or for arranging longer appointments
- Stay and Play sessions for pre-school children and their parents, providing an opportunity to learn more about school and learning. These sessions are usually themed and staff provide information to parents on things such as early reading and language skills.
Recently, we decided to see if the local independent nurseries would like training from us on early language, reading and phonics skills. We were delighted with the uptake, with over 25 attendees at our first evening training session. The feedback we received was excellent, with requests for more training, which are going to provide. We think it is really important that we all work together to improve our children's educational opportunities from birth onwards.