Oak CLASS Page
Welcome to the Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS)
If you have any questions please don't hesitate to contact us, you can email our class email - email@example.com or message us via Tapestry.
Mrs Hardy (Mon, Tues) and Mrs Leach (Weds, Thurs, Fri)
- PE will take place on Wednesday. Please make sure your child comes to school in their PE kit on those days
- All children should wear uniform which is clearly named.
- Drop-off time is between 8:45am - 8.55am. Pick-up time is between 3:25pm. Please drop off and collect your child from the side entrance to Oak classroom.
- Please ensure your child has a spare set of clothes, waterproofs and wellies, bookbag and water bottle in school everyday.
Below is a guide to the Early Years Foundation Stage at Coppice Valley
Throughout the Reception Year your child will partake in an ambitious curriculum which is designed in a sequential way to ensure progress towards our end of year curricular goals. See below.
Each term we update our webpage with information about what your child will be learning.
The curriculum in Oak Class is delivered through a balance of adult led and child led learning. It incorporates everything we want the children to experience, learn and be able to do. Meeting all the requirements of the educational programmes in the statutory framework for the Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS) and the flexibility to allow us to respond quickly to children’s new interests and/or needs.
Below is a broad overview of what we are learning this half term. Your child will be learning skills, acquiring new knowledge and demonstrating their understanding through 7 areas of learning and development. All areas are interconnected.
For our more detailed termly planning document please click here
Please see below for the Phonics Phase 3 sounds and tricky words we will be focusing throughout the Spring term
An overview of the Reception Year
Every Friday we spend the afternoon participating in a forest school inspired session at Nature School. See an example of one of our sessions below.
Learning in Oak class often takes us to wonderful places but please see below for a general overview of themes for the year.
A typical day looks like this …
How to support your child at home
Guidance videos will be uploaded to Tapestry throughout the year covering early reading, phonics, maths and how to develop language through interactions.
Also please see below for further documents which you may find helpful.
The document below supports understanding of the seven areas of learning and development at particular ages and stages
There are six key areas of early mathematics learning, which collectively provide a platform for everything children will encounter as they progress through their maths learning at primary school, and beyond:
- Cardinality and Counting
- Shape and Space
These areas form the fundamental mathematical basis of a CBeebies series of five-minute animated programmes called Numberblocks. We use these and the NCETM materials to draw out and build on the maths embedded in the stories contained in each episode.
Phonics is recommended as the first strategy that children should be taught in helping them learn to read. It runs alongside other teaching methods such as Guided Reading and Shared Reading to help children develop all the other vital reading skills and hopefully give them a real love of reading. At Coppice Valley we use a programme called Phonics Bug to support early reading.
So what is phonics?
Words are made up from small units of sound called phonemes. Phonics teaches children to be able to listen carefully and identify the phonemes that make up each word. This helps children to learn to read words and to spell words. These might help to understand phonics jargon...
You may also like to check out the EYFS websites below:
- White Rose Math White Rose Maths Team has prepared a series of five maths lessons for each year group from Year 1-8. Every lesson comes with a short video showing you clearly and simply how to help your child to complete the activity successfully.
- Active Learn: Read online Bug Club Books and visit the Math Factor.
- Numberblocks: Sing along and learn all about numbers with the Numberblocks!
- Alphablocks: Watch as the letters of the alphabet tell stories and make words using phonics. Play the learning game, watch clips and print colouring pages.
- Epic Phonics: One month free membership.
- Phonics Play: You will find lots of games and ideas to explore with children at home. Free membership.
- Tapestry: Visit home Coppice Valley home learning ideas and share your learning.
- Stay at Home Story Time: Oliver Jeffers will be reading one of his books every weekday and talking about some of the things that went into making it.
- Time To Come In, Bear written by Kim St. Lawrence - A story explaining social distancing to young children
APPs for EYFS
- Meet the Numberblocks: Can you count the Numberblobs? FREE
- Numberblocks: Hide and Seek: Find and add the Numberblocks!
- Numberblocks: Card Fun!: Learn with the Numberblocks!
- Meet the Alphablocks! FREE
- Alphablocks: Letter Fun: Learn to read with phonics
- CBeebies Free Apps for Kids
Oak Class Fundraising
This year we hope to further enhance our EYFS offer by adding woodwork to our provision. Thank you to all our families for helping us to reach our ambitious target.
Our current total is £1250!! We have reached our total!! Thank you all