Coppice Chronicle Newsletters
Support and Advice during Social Distancing
Click here to open a list of useful helplines including domestic violence, anxiety, depression and others
Explaining Corona Virus to Children
Time to come in, bear written by Kim St. Lawrence - A story explaining social distancing to young children
What's going on? Explaining Covid-19 to young children
Playmobil explains Corona Virus
English - reading, phonics and writing sites
- Reading, Writing and Language activities for all ages - Literacy Trust
- Spelling Frame - spelling tasks for Y1-Y6
- Phonics Play - games for phonics learning
- Story Online - famous actors reading stories
- Oxford Owl - register for a free account to access reading and more
- Audible - free audio books to download
All Subjects Home Learning Activities - Online
- Twinkl - tons of national curriculum learning from EYFS to KS2
- At School - interactive and printable tasks based on the National Curriculum
- BBC BiteSize Primary – lots of lessons and activities from the national curriculum for your child’s age range. You can find the right topics for your child by using our website and visiting your child’s class page to find out what they are learning this term. www.coppicevalley.com
- The School Run – a great website with information for parents on what your child is learning and how to help them with it
Home Learning Activities - Screen free
- Go traditional - board games,dominoes and card games require maths skills, deduction, prediction and reasoning
- Reading - when off school it's vital parents hear children read and read to them. At school, we read with/to our classes several times a day. Please keep this up for us so your child continues to make progress.
- Sudoku, crosswords and word searches - all great for keeping skills sharp.
- Keep a Journal - write an entry each day, saying what you've done at home, what the developments have been in the news and how your family are coping. This will be a fascinating piece of real history to treasure in the future
- Times Tables - practice writing out tables. Make up quizzes. To be fully fluent, you need to answer any table question, in any order in 3 seconds.
- Book Review - write a review of the last book you read. Film yourself giving the review, as if you are on TV.
- Spellings - spellzone gives you lists of spellings per age and advice about how to learn them at home
- Topic Work - use your class web page for information about current topics. Can you create some art, write a song, make up a poem about your topic?
- Time Capsule - we're living in interesting times. What would you put in a time capsule?
- Write a story or a chapter book - write a paragraph a day that builds into a long story, or even a chapter day! Illustrate it too.
real PE at home includes an online programme which supports families to be active, play and learn together. It includes a programme specifically for children in Early Years and Key Stage 1 with 12 themes, 6 areas, over 250 activities and challenges and 1000s of hours of fun and activity. This programme is also great for family play and fun.
It also includes a programme for children in Key Stage 2, with daily and weekly guidance provided for both programmes (starting from this week) in addition to an option to choose your own themes and activities.
There are so many benefits to being active, not only to our physical wellbeing but also to our emotional and mental health, especially in such testing times for all of us. We hope that the ideas help support you and your family to stay fit and healthy in the coming months. Here are the details to access real PE at home:
The website address is: home.jasmineactive.com
Parent email: email@example.com
Maths Learning Sites
- The Maths Factor - Carol Vorderman's maths site. Free for 14 days
- My Mini-Maths - free maths activities for KS2
- Top Marks - search by age and topic for tasks
- TTRock Stars - games to learn tables
- White Rose Math White Rose Maths Team has prepared a series of five maths lessons for each year group from Year 1-8. Every lesson comes with a short video showing you clearly and simply how to help your child to complete the activity successfully.
Mental and Physical Health for Children
- 25 Mindfulness activities for children
- Guided Meditation for Children - a free guided meditation. YouTube has hundreds of guided meditation videos you can use too
- Yoga for Kids - videos for children to follow
- Breathing Activities for kids
- Discussing Coronavirus with your children - good advice from experts about how to support your children through their fears and worries about COVID-19
- Change 4 Life - ideas from 10 minute shake ups to 60 minute activities
The Five Ways to Well Being for all the Family
These 5 steps to wellbeing have been well researched and found to be crucial in maintaining good mental health.
Learn more about what you and your family can do by clicking here
Science Online Learning link
- Penguin Cam! Watch the rockhoppers live